Its official….the countdown is ON! The countdown to summer vacation that is. My kids are anxiously awaiting that last day of school to get and I have to admit, so am I! Tired of the alarm clocks, the schedule, the homework… I’m looking forward to some relaxing time to be a kid with my kids. Isn’t that what summer is about? And if you are looking for some ideas to keep those kids busy and not screaming “I’m bored” the first week of summer…then check out our Sacramento Summer “Bucket List”. You may find some things that you have never thought of, and if you have other ideas you would like to share, please email us.
Sacramento Summer Fun with Kids:
- Go Berry Picking. We have some great local orchards that will let you bring the kids and pick fresh fruit to take home. Impossible Acres is my personal favorite!
- Take a Hike. We have great local trails in the area that will keep your kids busy and active all summer.
- Visit the Sacramento Zoo, Fairytale Town and/or Funderland.
- Enjoy a FREE concert in the park at Pops in the Park. Saturdays in June, the parks in East Sacramento host concerts- this is always a fun tradition for Sacramento families!
- Visit a local Farmers Market. Many markets offer entertainment and food choices- so you can make an evening out of it.
- Grab some peanuts and cheer on our local River Cats Baseball team (check schedule here).
- Put on some sunblock and hit up one of our local Spray Parks in the area.
- Make homemade ice cream, or visit one of the great local ice cream parlors (Vics, Farrells, Leatherby’s and Gunthers are great options).
- Check out the Planetarium at the Sacramento Discovery Museum.
- Visit a local nature center- Effie Yeaw and Placer Nature Center are great for kids.
- Catch a movie at the Drive In’s
- Play Flashlight Tag (can’t wait to do this one!).
- Check out the water parks in the area- SunSplash and Raging Waters.
- Take a FREE tour at the Jelly Belly Factory.
- Go Bowling- many leagues have summer programs for kids to bowl for really inexpensive.
- Visit the Sacramento Children’s Museum.
- Take an Art Class or visit ArtBeast.
- Bounce out those giggles at the Bounce Spot or Sky Zone
- Visit one of our local libraries and check out some of the great free programs they have for kids in the summer.
- Learn how to flip pizza at Pizza Rock during their “Kids in the Kitchen”
- Bake some cookies to go with that pizza, or learn how to decorate those baked goods at Megan’s Bake Shop in West Sacramento.
- Take a bike ride along the American River Trail.
- Visit Six Flags Amusement Park
- Take your young children to Story Time at Big Spoon Yogurt (check your location for times and dates)
- Make plans to go to the California State Fair.
I hope this list gives you some ideas for things to do with your kids this summer. Our bucket list is made and ready to start crossing items off. I added things like “Take a Nap in a hammock”, “Read a book” and “Stay in our pajamas all day.” These are the activities I’m most looking forward to.
Let us know what is on your summer bucket list and get entered into a drawing to win a pair of VIP Passes for up to 4 people to visit some of our great local attractions.
We will announce the winner on Wednesday, June 4th, 2014.
Whatever your plans, have fun and make some memories with your kids this summer!