For many of us, this weekend marks the last free days of summer before school begins for the kiddos. Wondering how to make the best of it and end your summer with a bang? Here are 10 fun events and activities you can participate in this weekend.
1. SCREEN ON THE GREEN: Lego Batman at Glenn Hall Park (8/4) and North Natomas Park (8/5). Bring your chairs, blankets and pillows and enjoy a movie and popcorn under skies. Screen on the Green Friday, 8/4 and Saturday, 8/5 at Glenn Hall Park and North Natomas Park. Admission is FREE.
2. SATURDAY SAFARI at the Effie Yeaw Nature Center. Join a naturalist on a short hike around the nature preserve. Bring your binoculars to catch a better view of the animals and plants along the American River while you learn all about them. Saturday, 8/5 at 10:30 am at the Effie Yeaw Nature Center. Admission is FREE but registration is required.
3. FUN ON THE FARM: Bees, Butterflies and Bugs at Soil Born Farms. Perfect for kids ages 3 to 9 years who will get to explore the Youth Garden and American River Ranch while participating in fun activities. Participants will make a fresh farm snack, meet the farm animals and create something to take home. Saturday, 8/5 at 9:30 am at Soil Born Farms. Admission is $15.
4. ANIMAL OLYMPICS Puppet Show at Fairytale Town. Enjoy magician and ventriloquist Tony Borders as he presents Animal Olympics where animals learn their amazing abilities in the Children’s Theater. Saturday, 8/5 at 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm at Fairytale Town. Admission is $1 for members, $2 for members in addition to park entrance fees.
5. MAKE YOUR OWN KITE at Sacramento’s Franklin Library. Join presenter Anwar Khan from Old City Kites in Sacramento as you make your own kite while learning the rich and multicultural history of kites. Saturday 8/5 at 1:00 pm at Franklin Library. Admission is FREE, but registration is required.
6. HORSING AROUND at the Old City Cemetery. Meet ranchers, wagon makers, blacksmiths, horseshoers and a modern Pony Express rider at an unexpected place – the cemetery. Saturday, 8/5 at 10:00 am at the Old City Cemetery. Admission is FREE, but donations are appreciated.
7. FESTA ITALIANA at the Croatian American Cultural Center. Enjoy fun, dancing, games, live entertainment, folk dancers, delicious Italian food as well as other activities for kids. Saturday 8/5 at 11:00 am and Sunday 8/6 at 11:00 am at the Croatian American Cultural Center. Admission is $12, but youth ages 15 years and younger are FREE.
8. GUIDED GOLD FEVER TOUR in Old Sacramento. “Relive Sacramento boom days when gold ruled and you were always an eye blink away from triumph or tragedy. You’ll become one of the real-life rascals who scratched and clawed to make this the center of the Gold Rush.” Saturdays and Sundays through December at 10:30 am, 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm daily at the Sacramento History Museum in Old Sacramento. Admission is $10 for adults, $6 for youth, and kids 5 years and under are FREE.
9. SUMMER EXCURSION TRAIN RIDE along the Sacramento River. Join the Sacramento Southern Railroad for an excursion train ride aboard the Granite Rock No. 10 steam locomotive as it meanders along the Sacramento River near Old Sacramento. Trains depart from the Sacramento Southern Railroad Station on Saturdays and Sundays through September, every hour on the hour from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Tickets start at $12 for adults, $6 for youth, with children ages 5 and under FREE.
10. FLOATING OBSTACLE COURSE at Wake Island Waterpark. Swim, wakeboard, paddleboard, cruise the lake in a paddle boat, be challenged on a floating obstacle course or just hang out at the soft sandy beach and swim. Cool off at the West Coast’s largest waterpark resort, Wake Island Waterpark. Open through September and entrance to the park is FREE. Each additional activity will cost you.