Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 14. Hopefully you have already made plans to help celebrate that special woman in your life. If not, don’t worry! We have compiled a list of activities and events that are happening around Sacramento this weekend. Whether your mom is adventurous or would rather enjoy a quiet picnic at the park, we’ve got you covered.
- Smother her in berries. Visit the annual Berryfest at the Placer County Fairgrounds on May 13 and 14. From 10am-6pm, you and mom can enjoy all things that are berries. Petting zoo, kids fun zone, berry tastings, live music, entertainment and much more!
- Get your game on. For the more sporty moms out there, check out the Junior Kings Mother’s Day Clinic. On May 13, you and mom can train like a pro. Learn basketball basics, sharpen your shooting and dribbling skills and make memories with former Sacramento Monarchs players. This event will be held from 9am-12pm at the Sacramento Kings practice facility at 1 Sports parkway. $75-$175.
- Picnic in the park. For an activity that won’t break the bank, consider packing up a picnic lunch and visiting one of our local parks. McKinley Park and Southside Park are some of Sacramento’s favorites, especially if you have younger children. If you would like to do something a little more active than strolling through a city park, then check out the Auburn Recreation area and hike along the river to find a good picnic spot.
- Tea and crumpets. Put on your fancy hats, gloves and consider having “high tea” at Dash of Panache in Roseville. Enjoy tea sandwiches, scones and sweet treats at the one and only Parisian-themed teahouse in Sacramento. Tea times are 11am and 2pm on Saturday, 2pm and 5pm on Sunday. $29.95.
- All Aboard! Jump on the Sacramento River Train on Mother’s Day for a train ride to celebrate mom. Train departs at 12pm and includes a relaxing 2 hour train ride to enjoy the sights of Sacramento and along the river. Mimosas and lunch options are available to purchase. This will be a relaxing trip all moms will enjoy!
- Cheer her on. For the ultra-marathoner mom, check out the Mother’s Day All Women Triathlon/ Duathlon and 5k. Swim, bike and run the course at Granite Beach with your mom, and bring along the dads and sons as well. This event may be held on Mother’s Day, but it’s for the whole family.
- Take in a live show at Sutter Street Theater on historic Sutter Street in Folsom. Treasure Island begins on May 13 and is part of the family series of live shows at Sutter Street. When you are finished watching Long John Silver and the other pirates, take a stroll and visit the boutiques along Sutter Street. It’s a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
- Eat, Drink and be creative at Art Bistro in Rocklin. Learn how to paint with your mom and create a memento from this Mother’s Day. This weekend, you can take a glass painting class and make a vase, learn how to paint a daisy, moonlit seascape or a whimsical tree. Unlike other paint night adventures, this location welcomes children ages 8 and older.
- Shop for antiques. One of my favorite things to do with my mom is to visit antique stores. If you haven’t been to the Sacramento Antique faire, make sure you take some time out of your day and visit. This faire is an outdoor antiques and collectible marketplace. Held the second Sunday of each month, you can browse 300 vendors from throughout Northern California. Located at 21st and X streets, you are sure to find a treasure of some sort.
- Take it easy! Let her kick back and relax while you grill up some burgers and hot dogs, serve homemade lemonade and enjoy the wonderful Sacramento spring weather we will have this weekend.
Whatever you choose to do for mom this weekend, it’s bound to be a special day she’ll cherish for years to come!